Sunday, December 30, 2007

The sound of silence (almost)

Some people really do not get excited about travelling. To be honest, I find it to be some of my most relaxing time. Currently, She Who Loves Shoes (wearing silver ballet flats) is honking in a most ungracious manner an onion bagel (toasted, with butter) in the lounge at San Francisco Airport. Its also 5.44am. That's the less fun part. However, it really is delightfully calm in here. H&L is next to me reading the NY Times, I have enough gossip magazines to keep me going for at least half an hour. Heaven. Apart from the noisy businessman bellowing into his cellphone (there's always one) - all is quiet.

Airports are funny places. I tend to become quite introspective in them. In a place where everyone is going somewhere, it somehow allows me time to think. Most probably because when you're surrounded by families - it gets you thinking of your own, seeing people going on vacation - reminds of yours from years long ago, or watching businessmen wanting to get home - again, reminds you of family.

Today I am en route to one of my favourite places, with someone I care about very much, to see people I also care about very much. Perhaps that's why the airport makes me reflect, I remember where I've been there before and with whom. Top of the list in the memory-lane-airport-game was a interesting journey on the Skylink train at Dallas Forth-Worth with a stuffed cuddly monkey and H&L after several Bloody Marys at 1oam.

Today, nothing so eventful - for now, I'll simply enjoy the calm, it really is just fabulous. Sadly no stuffed cuddly monkeys, and its a bit early for a Bloody Mary.

No comments: